As we near the 2014 calendar year end, and the mid-point of our 2014-15 membership year, I’d like to recap the many activities our local League has accomplished and thank the many members who devoted so much of their personal time.
This is an inspiring list of reasons to Join Us as members.
We report our membership to State and National as of January 31st so it’s important to have our records up to date.
- If you are unclear about your renewal status, please click HERE to contact membership services.
- If you would like to join as a new member, please click HERE.
Recap of our Recent Activities
Election Year Voter Service Activities (Our Core Mission)
- Candidates Night: October 21st, headed by Nora McIlree and supported by numerous volunteers including several new members
- Voters Guide: published October 30th and posted on our lwv.darien.org website, coordinated by Marcia Meinerth, supported by Mary Genco. This labor intensive project is considered a key feature of local voter education
- Election volunteers: several of our members are poll workers, absentee ballot counters and we work closely with the Registrars of Voters throughout the year on registration drives and other initiatives
- The League hosted a high profile, Sunday Lunch program on October 5th in conjunction with Senator Kirsten Gillibrand’s (D-NY) book launch of “Off The Sidelines” concerning women’s empowerment. Almost 200 tickets and books were sold related to this event – our highest attendance program to date. Many thanks to our co-sponsor Barrett Bookstore and to our affiliates, Wee Burn Country Club and Palmer’s Market.
- Super thanks to the organizing team who planned, produced and promoted this successful event with less than two weeks notice. Clara Sartori, Shannon Silsby, Arlene Tulacro, Sarah Woodberry and the others who volunteered at the event.
- One perk of membership is an annual holiday potluck party, held in a member’s home with a lively music program developed by League Volunteers. This year, about 50 party goers met at Callie Sullivan’s house for fun and holiday cheer. (Shhh – the pictures and video are for members only, you’ll see it in an upcoming Spotlight)
So one calendar year ends and another begins. Planned activities for early 2015 include:
- Darien LWV will act as the third party administrator of the Darien Housing Authority Election of a Tenant Commissioner on January 13th, 2015. State law governs the general requirements for this election, but the Darien League is developing significant precedent regarding implementation details. VP-Voter Service, Nancy Cahoon, assisted by Mary Genco have put in countless hours and intent thought to interpret legislative guidelines into workable election procedures.
- We historically co-host a documentary movie of public interest on a Sunday afternoon in February along with the Darien Library. This event is free and open to the public and is well attended.
- We are also considering a program on “Women and the Media” as a potential Spring program. Clara Sartori and Shannon Silsby are hard at work.
- Our upcoming members and guests only events include:
- Legislative Coffee January 13th, hosted by Joyce Critelli. This is a small group, personal opportunity to question our State Senators – Bob Duff and Carlo Leone and State Representatives – Terrie Woods and William Tong
- Town Officials Lunch – Date TBD in March
- A similar opportunity to meet and question Darien’s top elected officials with open Q&A
Once again, we keep an active calendar and welcome new members throughout the year, so please JOIN US
Gwen Mogenson – President Darien LWV